Diabetes Education Service
Diabetes Education Services
The Employment of a Diabetes Educator by GEGPN has enabled the delivery of a vital service within the Goldfields region. 2008 has seen the full implementation of practice based monthly Diabetes Clinics.
Diabetes Clinics Service Provision:
- Newly Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes
- Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes (Adult)
- Type 2 or 1 Diabetes with inadequate Diabetic Control
- Gestational Diabetes
The main focus of Service Provision is Diabetes Self Management Education.
- Understanding of medical terminology in diabetes treatment and management
- Understanding diabetes and developing responsibility for self care
- Making appropriate food choices
- Incorporating Physical Activity into daily life
- Self blood glucose monitoring and using results to improve control
- Skills and knowledge for starting insulin for the first time
- Problem Solving to avoid high and low blood glucose levels
- Tips on reducing the risk of long term complications (including attending regular check ups with their GP)
- Developing effective coping skills and adapting family, work and social roles
- Blood glucose monitors available for Type1 & Type 2 patients via Abbott Diabetes Care Program
Services NOT PROVIDED:
- NDSS form application authentication (NDSS form to be filled out by your local GP)
- Insulin adjustment/stabilization therapy. Doses to be managed by patients own doctor
- Supply of insulin - insulin by prescription only (GP)
When to refer:
- At Diagnosis
- When patients are NOT achieving Management Goals
- When Medications have changed
- When Insulin Therapy is commenced
- When patients are presenting with Risk Factors for Complications
- When patient or their carers express a need for Education/Support
About the Diabetes Educator: Helen O'Sullivan
Helen has been working with the Network since April 2007 and is a Registered Nurse by trade. She recently completed her Post Graduate Studies in Diabetes Education through Deakin University in Melbourne. Helen hopes to go on to become a credentialed Diabetes Educator with the Australian Diabetes Educators Association and is working towards that goal at present.
Working Hours: Tues/Wed/Thurs 08:30am – 04:30pm based at GEGP Network, 49 Brookman Street, Kalgoorlie.
Phone: 9080 0400 Fax: 9021 6641
Lamington Medical Group: 1st Tuesday of the Month
Collins Street Surgery: 1st Thursday of the Month
Bega Garnbirringu Health Services: 2nd Tuesday of the Month
Boulder Medical Centre: 2nd Thursday of the Month
Kalgoorlie Hospital: Type 2 Team Clinic, as advised by the Hospital
Tower Medical: 4th Wednesday of the Month
Plaza Medical: 4th Thursday of the Month
Note to Practice Nurses:
Diabetes Cert 111 Modules available from your professional body The Australian Practice Nurses Association.
For more information on the More Allied Health Services program or if you are an allied health professional interested in working in the region please contact GEGP Network on 08 9080 0400..